Friday 5 October 2012

Another article from Transitions one


Anansi meets Miss Muffet on a Cross-Channel Ferry


Maggie Harris



Folkestone. And was my first landing a literary one? No, it was with my mate Emily, we’d met at the factory, and me the water-crosser, the alien, the migrant with whole stones in my mouth. The Queen’s English trembled on my tongue, years of colonial implant; Creole and a host of ginger lilies, not daffodils, regurgitated in my stomach. She was from Shepherdswell, a village girl with a stammer, beautiful, blonde and with an eye for fashion that had enticed me with her boldness, with her strength. Meeting back at that plastics factory in Sandwich, girls like us from Ramsgate, Ripple, Deal, joining the women who chain-smoked over the machinery, turning out into pubs and clubs from Margate to Bridge at the weekend. Through Emily I found out about the King’s Road, about shoes that cost a month’s wages, about clothes that belonged on the backs of willowy brunettes and not on factory girls whose speech negotiated an entire rite of passage.
And my tongue would begin to ease itself into the locality, would curl round the dropped h’s, revel in the ‘innits’, learn to use the ‘f’ word with the regularity of breathing. But my body lacked behind, skin and bones to her Munroesque stature, a shadow behind her at Bridge Country Club, both wearing the dresses we made ...And Art walked like a ghost behind me, a ghost uncomfortable in this new place, the land of opportunity that had up-rooted me and my family from a country dissolving post-independence. And it waited at the back-door as both me and Emily got married, had babies, and it was her move to Folkestone circa 1976 that saw us walking along Capel-le Ferne.
A new skin grew along that promenade, a new voice that blended Caribbean lullabies with English ones, celebrating the blue of this baby’s eyes whilst I sung her Marley’s reggae.
That walk along the promenade, a million miles from home, was the first step to marking this territory; that would see Art brush his ghost-dust off his winter coat and lead me, sometime in the 80s into the Metropole. The Arts Officer then was John Rice, a young Scottish guy with a long black ponytail. The workshop through whose doors I’d walked filled my mouth with stones as another self beat its small fists against my breastbone. Many moons ago I had had aspirations of being an artist. I wasn’t sure quite what kind of an artist: I drew portraits prolifically, got an A at GCE, landed at Stansted with some idea of being a dress designer. That was not to be, and playing with paper and ink, oil, and watercolour had for some years existed alongside raising my little girls, with some slight recognition – submissions in exhibitions in Kent and the Mall Gallery. But the two-dimensional form defeated me, words screamed in schizophrenic frenzy in the way I spoke and imagined, in the way that memory and recognition danced in a domestic home-space like stars. So I reached for the pen, hence the workshop. And the sea on the Leas sang such a song I knew its chorus, and my footsteps began to walk as if they knew their way.
There would come a time when my voice would be recognised, that I would be given my first ‘gig’ as a performance poet, alongside John Agard at Cranbrook Library; and came the day when I was asked to represent Kent alongside Caroline Price in Europe on KCC’s European Women Writers’ project, MUSE. And so to Folkestone I had come, the Leas again, walking that promenade alongside women poets from Ireland and the Nord-Pas-de-Calais and Bruges regions, our disparate voices rising like starlings down past the harbour, ready to board the ferry the next day for Calais. And that was the day my stomach, disturbed at its good fortune, disturbed by rich food and the terror of being brought into the light, began to plague me, a condition that would torment me for years. Later it would be given a name, IBS; but the battle between the physical and the mental, between the memory of belonging and the fear of belonging, between the naked self and the words that would eventually occupy a life of their own in publications that went out into the world like teenage children, I would come to realise had a purpose: this limboland I occupied was the very source of my being an artist.
From where the fear of water came I do not know. As a child I had steamed up-river with my father, a tug-boat captain on the Berbice River, a river of Amazonian breadth and depth, happily and fearlessly, running inside the barges of bauxite like Natalie Wood on the train- tracks in This Property is Condemned. Health and Safety with its stifling paroxysms did not exist then. At age 17 I had crossed the Atlantic boldly, daring to look out of the windows. But boarding a cross-channel ferry would send my soul tumbling to its darkest depths.
I had crossed it on previous occasions, on day trips, with family and friends, and on factory outings with women whose raucous voices, underlined by John Players and Embassy, had sung Vera Lynn and knocked back shots of vodka even before the coach deposited us on the ferry. I remember Emily getting pissed as a coot onboard before we’d even got to the beer festival, and having to sleep it off on the coach on the other side of the water whilst I had to find other friends to play with. But on one crossing there was something about its fathomless depths and the way the ferry dipped and rolled, that had suddenly filled me with fear. Perhaps being a new mother had something to do with it, I remember looking at my baby girl and trembling, remembering the sudden death of my father when I was aged fifteen. That, and the fact that I couldn’t swim; and that my aspiration to be some sort of artist had not yet been realised. I remember distinctly thinking myself into sanity: get a grip girl, you ain’t seen nothing. You frightened of water? Let me tell you, if it wasn’t for water you wouldn’t even exist. You think you got problems? Well think of your father’s ancestors: think of them rolling, pinned like sardines on a slave ship forcibly extricated from an African homeland in the name of sugar. And some fat merchant on this side of the Channel may well have been the one to build his grand house of stone on the backs of your fathers. And from somewhere the figure of Anansi had surfaced; that spider trickster had travelled from Africa too, imported in the minds of all those incarcerated on that ship and deposited in Guyana. And all those nancy stories came to mind, heard from childhood, tales of charm and trickery over-coming tumultuous odds, the souls of the enslaved freeing themselves. John Agard is a master of Anansi stories. He had imported Anansi, a much-travelled figure whose African DNA is now a hybrid of Caribbean, North American and British fusion. John and I, like so many from the Diaspora, are hot-house and hybrid, and it was Anansi who had shown us the way.

I remember writing a poem about Anansi on that ferry, he himself dictated the words, singing as he spoke O Anansi O Anansi O Anansi O, You walk on water, skip on land, and leave in your wake your fables like beads, dangling from my hand. (Lament on ‘The Pride of Dover’, 1999)
Recognition and acceptance are sisters, to misquote ... God grant me the will to accept the things I cannot change and the strength to do the things I can ...and my voice is no longer full of stones. I would walk boldly into Saga that was, and ask for help for a festival, I would run a workshop for their workers, I would have tea with Roger de Haan in his office through whose windows the channel lurched in a variety of disguises. I would receive a Year of the Artist award, would read my poetry under the canopy with its roof like sails and in the Folkestone Literature Festival; and always remember my journey and those of others who had followed the sweet smell of sugar.
A million miles away from home. Home, where is my home? Grace Nichols wrote, ‘wherever I hang my knickers that’s my home’. I would move from Kent to Wales, and constantly return; I would be the mother of the bride as one of my beautiful daughters got married in St John’s Church, would stand in a bevy of wedding guests along the Leas on a bright August day where the bride glittered like the sea and somewhere a little me with a mouth full of stones walked by. And often now I walk the town with my grand-children, whose Folkestone accents pepper the air at such speed I ask them to slow down, enunciate. This Folkestone where my grand-daughter Kanisia would bring her golden voice to the Bouverie Centre and win a singing competition, Bouverie’s Got Talent, and where another grand-daughter Chloe writes poetry, and who has been featured more than once in the local paper. And this year, another gift: whilst attending a Live Lit workshop in Tontine Street, an idea evolved for the creation of a performance piece, Daughters, which will feature four women poets, and Chloe. I lost touch with Emily many moons ago. But Folkestone, you have helped me to define

Martini Girls
Maggie Harris

1976. And me and my baby are riding the train
Her curled to my belly, warm on my thighs
And the train hiccups through Dover, skims
For one surreal moment along the track
With the sea to our left and a bright sun swimming
On an emerald sea.
Then the tunnels
And a force-fed wind screaming its anger
At our freedom to move through its confined space
And I’m moving my fingers to cover her ears
Her sweet baby four-month ears, remembering
The classics, the occasional Bob Marleys
The dancing with her still wrapped in my belly.
Folkestone. And me and my baby meet Emily
(we’d worked at the factory) , she’s wheeling her baby
I’m carrying mine, the sun’s shining bright
And we’re warped in delight at our beauty
21(ish) real hair, good teeth, breasts fulsome
To whistles, oestrogen dripping and both of us wearing
The dresses we’d made,
Martini labels on black, on red
Backless, shoulder-less, full-skirted pretend Munroes
Teased into being our mothers (but cool) with trips
(before childbirth) to Jap and Joseph and Anyone
In the Fulham Road.
Sun hot on our heads we parade our babies
Along Capel le Ferne. Watched the sea, swelled fatter
And fatter as The World and His Wife took time off
From strolling to peer at our babies and croon
How like their mothers they were
And they don’t stay babies for long, enjoy.
2001. And this memory rises as I ride on the train
And I think of my baby, now 25
And her babies and Emily’s babies
And Emily and wonder what happened
What happened to those Frocks?
(from From Berbice to Broadstairs, Mango Publishing, 2006)


Whilst contemplating the sea
(from the Saga Building)
Maggie Harris



a linen ceiling
dropped like a handkerchief
chandelier glass and light
steel and chrome
freckled ammonite concrete floor
a place for brunches, lunches
business meetings
who shagged who the night before
the sea like a voyeur
cinema screening
panoramic patio, tilt-backed chairs
the smoking zone

remembering the time
a Zulu choir shattered
the glass, reclaiming
a space, returning
once-silenced voices
out over the Channel and home.







No comments:

Post a Comment